Since it was dedicated on May 8, 1881, Our Lady Help of Christians Church has been the repository of deep faith and tireless dedication of parishioners, clergy, and religious. For more than a century, the church has been the center of parish life and the heart of a commitment to live the traditions of our Catholic faith and to share them with future generations.
The story of Our Lady’s has paralleled that of Newton. Irish immigrants struggled and built the magnificent church. Italian immigrants followed and brought their customs and traditions that enriched the parish. The church has stood as a refuge through wars, depression, and prosperity. Our Lady Help of Christians Church continues to serve the needs of parishioners from within its beautiful structure.
Today, Our Lady’s is a thriving parish of more than 2,900 households. Under the leadership of Father John Sassani and a dedicated pastoral staff, the parish strengthens and sustains the faith we share. The church building is so much more than a magnificent structure. It is the place where the community continues to gather and nourish its faith, deepen its hope, and share its love. Our Lady’s Church remains a beacon of light dedicated to Mary, the Mother of God and Mother of the Church.